🖼️ Exercise: Improving your visual Intelligence
Let's slow our roll!
Happy Friday! I am excited to share an exercise I believe will help you slow down and notice the details in everything you do and be in the present while improving your visual intelligence. :)
In our fast-paced and productivity-focused world we often look but don’t really see what is right in front of us. We are busy worrying about the next moment that we miss out on experiencing the present. A consequence of this harried way of being is that we don’t notice the important details that are right in front of us which could help us make better decisions in the future.
Don't worry, there is an antidote to our predicament, which is strengthening our visual intelligence. Visual intelligence is our ability to see and understand the details in the information that is presented to us, basically our eye to detail. I first learned about this important concept when I read Visual Intelligence - Sharpen Your Perception, Change Your Life by Amy Herman, the founder of The Art of Perception, a New York-based organization that helps people strengthen their visual intelligence skills. I also watched a video of her Talks at Google presentation on Visual Intelligence in which she shares why we need to slow down and think before acting by carefully understanding the information we are being presented with along with some wonderful examples which opened my eyes to this important topic. Being aware of what we see in front of us is a crucial skill which needs to be continually practiced so we can deliver quality work, build trust, and strengthen our relationships.
All this to say that I’m going to try something new in this newsletter which I believe will be helpful for both you and me. I am adding an exercise into the rotation of Low Fidelity posts, an exercise to improve our visual intelligence.
Each week I will present a picture, it could be artwork or a photo and I will ask you to write down everything you see in it. Let’s go!
Look at the picture below
Make a list of all the details you notice in the picture
Share your list in the comments
Well done! 👏👏👏
By practicing examining the details consistently we can build our visual intelligence muscles which will help us become more aware in our work and everyday life.
As always, I would love to hear any thoughts you have about this exercise or the Low Fidelity newsletter so hit reply and let’s chat!
Till next time,
Here are my observations
- A butterfly with blue and red color on the edges of its wings.
- A bird with orange and black feathers. It has a red worm in its mouth. The worm has a black head and three antennae.
- The bird is holding a bouquet of flowers which include a red rose with lots of red thorns on it's stalk. There are about 9 blue flowers each with six petals and a yellow center.
- There is a large flower with red, blue, and white colors pointing down.
- There are white flowers with yellow centers. Not sure what kind.
- There is a pink bow wrapped around the bouquet of flowers.
- The ends of the bow fabric are unraveling with a piece of string coming off of each end.
That's my list...how did you do?